April 15, 2010

New Projects With The Doctor

As some of you may have noticed I haven't been posting very regularly and it may seem that the Doctor hasn't been very busy. On the contrary! I've actually been too busy to focus on any of my pending projects.

This is where you can come in. Are you an inspiring Geek wanting to get your article published with the Doctor? Take a look at my list of pending projects and see if any of them look like something you could add your two sense on and then use the e-mail the Doctor link on my blog page to let me know what you think.

1. Turning Microsoft Access Forms into Web pages.

Microsoft Office AccessImage via Wikipedia


Scenario: I have an enterprise level database with forms for a student management suit, but the client would like to see a web page for parents to log in and view their children's grades, get homework itineraries for the week or possibly even get class handouts.

My Work: So far I have been able to export a form as an html page which doesn't work and a asp file which I'm not sure exactly what to do with.


2. Making a portable application for Dansguardian

DansGuardianImage via Wikipedia


Scenario: Our local private school wanted an internet filter for the computer labs but did not have a budget to purchase third party software. I suggested Dansguardian with tinyproxy and then locking the proxies on the internet browsers. The problem is that the old Pentium 3 I put it on seems a little flaky and I'm always getting calls about it. I put it on a virtual machine and that works as a backup, but it also ties up a machine since most of them only have 512 Mb to work with.

My Work: I'm looking at Ubuntu JeOS as a possibility to run from a bootable USB drive, but so far I've struck out because I can't ping an internet connection. If I can get to the Internet then I can install Dansguardian and make a go of it so this USB key can be run on any spare machine in the building and be moved to another machine if something happens.


3. Moving my blog to Wordpress

Image representing WordPress as depicted in Cr...Image via CrunchBase


Scenario: The time has come for me to step up my blog a bit and I don't know if staying with blogger will be the best solution for me or not. Many people have suggested wordpress and I want to play with that a bit.

My Work: I'm looking at getting the Wordpress application from Turnkey Linux but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. I don't want to do all the work in bringing my blog over to it only to find out that I won't be serving my own blogsite and then being stuck not able to export my work out to somewhere else that can serve my Wordpress blog.


So here's my challenge... If anyone can come up with a viable solution for any of these three projects, I will publish their suggestions or article and give them credit, and the only rules are that the solutions should be free or low cost. Good Luck!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Hex Converter

Hex To ASCII Converter

Hex:
Ascii:

 

Integer to Byte converter


This is a tool to practice converting between decimal and binary representations. After you have practiced for a while and feel that you know how to do the conversions, take the quiz.
Decimal number to convert:
Binary representation:


Binary number to convert:
Decimal representation: