September 01, 2010

Network Cabling

UTP Patch CableImage via Wikipediaby The Computer Doctor

So I'm getting ready for the day that painting the basement family room, spare bedroom, and underground lair will be completed.
One of the things that I will be doing next is running network cable and creating patch cables to connect my servers, work bench, wireless network and network printer together.

Keystone Outlets:
On my main floor I want to have an outlet with two RJ45 jacks for my wireless access point and for my network printer (which is actually a normal printer that I'm using a usb to cat5 converter on both ends and will have it plugged into my print server)
This video shows how to punch down a keystone jack and install it in your wall plate.



Patch Panels:
This next video shows how to punch down to a patch panel. Why use a patch panel? To keep everything organized and easily rewired for a multiple LAN environment. In my case... why not, it was in the pile of junk.



Patch Cabels:
This final video shows how to create patch cabels. Some people use patch cabels for end to end instalation. For most U.S. home and business installations you will use the 568B wiring standard. I have seen that 568A is a European standard and on other sites I've read that 568A is a U.S. government standard. The fact of the matter is that as long as you use the same wiring pattern on both ends of your cable it doesn't matter, but as a general practice I always use the 568B wiring standard.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Hex Converter

Hex To ASCII Converter

Hex:
Ascii:

 

Integer to Byte converter


This is a tool to practice converting between decimal and binary representations. After you have practiced for a while and feel that you know how to do the conversions, take the quiz.
Decimal number to convert:
Binary representation:


Binary number to convert:
Decimal representation: